Developing and deploying applications on SAP HANA Cloud Platform is strict when it comes to adhering to the correct order of development applications. Since SAP HANA Cloud Platform relies on Eclipse for designing applications and ensuing deployments it is pivotal to know
- which Java Development Kit (JDK) you need to have installed on macOS. Beware, Eclipse is a Java based environment and hence requires the JDK even before Eclipse installation. A simple Java Runtime (JRE) is not sufficient to run Eclipse on macOS. Otherwise you will get a bogus system message prompting you to install a legacy Java version.
- which Eclipse version offers SAP HANA Cloud Platform tools. As of the time of writing, Eclipse oxygen (4.7) is the only reliably working environment on macOS.
- which SAP HANA Cloud Platform tool is required, and
- which SAP HANA SDK works best.
Check for current Java Runtime version
Execute Terminal command:
It will render something like:
java version "11.0.1" 2018-10-16 LTS
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11.0.1+13-LTS)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.9 (build 11.0.1+13-LTS, mixed mode)
If the required Java Runtime version is incorrect and you need to replace it.
sudo rm -fr /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
sudo rm -fr /Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefpane
Also, remove the installed Java Development Kit (JDK). This is something different than the Java Runtime. Use this Terminal command to switch to the JDK folder.
Check the folder contents:
sudo rm -rf <exact JDK version name>
Check if Java is gone for good. Simple type following in Terminal:
If you get this popup message then Java is dead.
Prepare macOS for Eclipse oxygen (4.7) installation
- For Eclipse 4.7 the required Java JDK is 8 (ref. Eclipse wiki page). Install Java SDK 8. This will install it into folder /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_201.jdk
- Install Eclipse oxygen (4.7).
- Open Eclipse and install new software using the link https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/oxygen
- Select SAP Cloud Platform Tools
- Download SAP Cloud Platform Neo Environment SDK > Java EE 6 Web Profile
- Install SKD in Eclipse in Java EE perspective in server tab.